1. Explain your calibration check
I decided to edit the presentation criteria to have specific examples of what will get you a proficient, emerging, beginning, or not completed score. I don't want students to get confused about the way they should be presenting or shouldn't be presenting. I think it was vague on how students should act when they are presenting, especially with how the students may not be used to giving a presentation. I listed how they should read their presentation, what voice they should have, and the eye contact they should have.
2. Where might bias or interpretation still enter your grading process?
I still believe the presentation and teamwork categories can be subjective to how the students believe they are presenting themselves. The students may believe they are performing at a proficient level when me (or their team mates) might believe they are a beginning level. These two categories seem very subjective to how others perceive the student and can be argued. I still find it important to pay attention to presentations at the grade level I set the rubric at, but I would give them a chance to talk with me if they feel their scores aren’t correct.
3. Creativity vs Structure: Did your rubric risk limiting student creativity? Why or why not?
I do believe I could limit my students by forcing them to include a certain amount of vocabulary words. The students may only want to fill the criteria of included content we learned as I am giving a quota to fill for full points. I do want the students to include what we have learned in order to assess them, but my goal isn’t to make it only vocabulary as I could’ve just given them a test. My goal is to have them be creative with the knowledge they know into their presentation, but it may do the opposite.
4. Practical Reality: Would you realistically use this rubric in your practicum/methods classroom? Why or why not?
I would not use this in the classroom as it isn’t specific enough to every assignment the students may do. I believe a good rubric could be used for anyone's assignment, but this rubric is for group assignments. I also believe it is too subjective and I would consult my cooperating teacher to get more eyes for the rubric.
5. Technology: Did the tool you chose make assessment easier, harder, or simply different?
The rubric maker tool did make the process easier as it gave me a template to base my own decisions on how the students should be assessed in the boxes. I didn’t have to split the score numbers for each category, where I could’ve made a math mistake to where the scores were all wrong. The rubric maker also made it easy to make quick edits without redoing every single rubric.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Analytic Scenarios (ELA 9th Grade Data) - Loriana Noriz-Diaz
Data Set for Ms. Lopez's 9th Grade English Class: Independent Reading & Comprehension Questions: What does this data actually tell ...
-
Your Learning Story: As a learner, I have always enjoyed learning in school as I was good at remembering information for the assig...
-
1. Explain your calibration check I decided to edit the presentation criteria to have specific examples of what will get you a prof...
-
1. Give a general overview of your activity (include a link, QR code, screen shot, or access code) My Padlet Discussion Board 2. Where would...

I'd agree that this rubric is pretty vague - especially on the assessment of teamwork. You have pointed out some thoughtful considerations on perceived contribution - we tend to think WE did a LOT of work in group work (typically)... so maybe an element of peer-input would be helpful?
ReplyDelete